1. Privacy Statement
Welcome to www.environmentalscience.bayer.ca (the “website”), administered by Bayer Inc. (“Bayer”). This website is intended for Canadian residents only and is subject to all applicable Canadian laws.
This Privacy Statement outlines how personal information about you is collected, used, disclosed and otherwise processed by Bayer with respect to your use and interaction with Bayer via this website as well as through other online activities involving Bayer products and services (“Services”). This Privacy Statement also applies to the personal data we collect offline, such as when you call us or interact with Bayer in person, such as at an industry event or at a place of business.
2. What is Personal Data?
Personal data is information about an identifiable individual. Personal data does not generally include business names and business contact information used in a commercial context.
3. Consent to Collection of Data
In cases when personal data is provided to others to provide you products or services you have requested, or for other purposes you have authorized, we rely on technical and organizational means to assure that applicable data security regulations are followed.
4. How does Bayer Collect Personal Data?
Generally, we only collect personal data when you provide it to us, through registration, completion of forms or e-mails, as part of an order for products or services, inquiries or requests about materials being ordered and similar situations in which you have chosen to provide the information to us. If you do not want your personal information collected, do not provide it to us.
5. What type of personal data does Bayer collect?
Examples of personal data we collect and use are:
- Contact information, such as full name, email address, telephone number and mailing address
- Usernames and passwords
- Business and professional information, such as title, practice, specialty, education, certification, accreditation, association
- Expertise and special interests, such as degrees, therapeutic specialty, specific disease expertise, practice setting, years of practice, department
- Banking and other information as required to pay honorariums and make travel arrangements
- Demographic information including age, gender, images and videos
- Consumer and professional preferences and comments, including with respect to Bayer Services
- Clinical trial data, including demographic, medical and health information of patients
- Data that must be reported to Health Canada and other regulatory bodies
- Sensitive health and patient data provided to Bayer through adverse event reports, recalls or other notifications
- Information submitted through Bayer chat boards, health centers, consumer and professional contact forms and call lines
- Information you provide when you contact us, provide feedback, make a complaint or other inquiry
6. How do we use the data?
The data we collect will be used for the purpose of supplying you with the requested Services or for other purposes for which you have given your consent, except where otherwise provided by law. For health care professionals, researchers, scientists and other professionals, the information we collect is primarily to continue and improve our client relationship with you. The information collected assists in maintaining our client relationship management databases, including with Bayer Global. Other purposes may include:
- Creating and managing your user account
- Providing our programs, clinical trials, research programs and events
- Providing you with approved medical or scientific information
- Administering travel arrangements to industry events provided by Bayer and our partners
- Meet our obligations required by applicable laws, i.e. reporting to Health Canada, enforcing our terms
- Analyze the accuracy and effectiveness or our website and Services, including administer, troubleshoot and enhance the website and Services
- Analyze data, identify trends and issues and create statistical reports
- Administer contests, promotions and surveys
- Test and analyze our Services for efficacy, safety and enhancements
- Establish and maintain our business relationship with you
- Responding to inquiries, complaints and other communications
The data we collect will also be used to improve the content of our website, and may be used to contact you via e-mail or by regular mail, to provide you with information that we believe to be of interest to you, process and store the information provided so that we are able to better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services and to provide you with health-related information or services that we believe would be of interest to you. See “Your Options” to learn what choices you have.
7. Does Bayer share or disclose personal data?
Bayer may share and disclose personal and technical data in the following circumstances:
Bayer Network: Bayer is part of the Bayer Group - a global company. Bayer may transfer any information received to one or more of its affiliated companies in other countries and regions of the world. We do not sell or transfer the information you send to us to others outside of our company.
Service Providers: Like many businesses, Bayer uses third party service provides to assist in administering and providing the website and our Services. Providers assist Bayer in data storage, website hosting, marketing, customer service, mailing, etc. Your personal data will not be passed by our service providers for use by third parties in any form whatsoever, unless we have obtained your consent or are legally required to do so.
Legal Requests and Obligations: Bayer may disclose personal data when required by law, such as to respond to court orders, subpoenas or other legal processes by authorities with jurisdiction. Bayer may disclose data to meet its obligations to health and drug regulators.
Business Transfer: Bayer may transfer or assign your personal data as a result of, or in connection of a merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation or other business transaction.
8. Where is Data Stored?
The database and its contents remain at our company and stay with data processors or servers acting on our behalf and responsible to us.
Some of this data may be stored or processed at computers located in other jurisdictions, such as the United States and Europe, whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require the data processor in that country to maintain protections on the data that are equivalent to those that apply in the country in which you live.
9. How long is Data Retained?
We only retain personal data for as long as is necessary for us to render a service you have requested or to which you have given your consent, except where otherwise provided by law (e.g. in connection with pending litigation).
- Essential cookies are necessary to enable you to move around our Site and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, like adding items to your shopping cart, cannot be provided.
- Performance cookies collect information about how you use our Site such as, for example, device type, browser, language, region, pages visited, day and time as well as duration of visit, and pages viewed. Bayer uses third-party service providers, including Google Analytics to analyze your use of our Site. You can find more information below on analytics, including your choices with respect to these cookies. We use the information collected through performance cookies to improve and personalize future web experiences and deliver content more relevant to your interests. We may also include a cookie on promotional offers/communications (email) to be able to measure performance and deliver more relevant offers/content based on preferences.
- Functional cookies allow the Site to remember choices you make (such as your username and ID, language preference, or the area or region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features as well as services you have asked for, such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information collected may be anonymized and is not used to track your browsing activities on other websites.
- Marketing cookies track browsing habits and are used to deliver targeted (interest-based) advertising. You can find more information below on advertising, including your choices with respect to these cookies.
Most browsers are set up to accept cookies automatically. You can deactivate the storing of cookies or adjust your browser to inform you before the cookie is stored on your computer. Because an industry-standard Do-Not-Track protocol is not yet established, Bayer’s information collection and disclosure practices and the choices it offers to consumers will continue to operate as described in this Privacy Statement regardless of a “do not track” choice made by the consumer. In the case of third-party cookies for interest-based advertising, you can opt out of receiving interest-based ads for web properties here (Digital Advertising Alliance's WebChoices) or for mobile apps here (Digital Advertising Alliance's AppChoices).
Below is a classification of the non-essential cookies we leverage across Bayer web properties to collect and manage data. This could vary from site to site but this is a full list.
|Collection Point:||Various data gathered from each page of web experience to measure and report.|
|Classification:||Bayer and 3rd Party|
|Purpose:||Bayer websites are tagged with analytics cookies to collect information about how visitors use our website and we leverage this information to make your experience more relevant based on your interest.|
|Collection Point:||First impression of Bayer Media to optimize display/video/mobile advertising.|
|Purpose:||Bayer leverages third party cookies to collect information related to media and site engagement, and uses this information to deliver relevant ads on Sites and third-party sites based on user interests and preferences.|
|Cookie:||3rd Party Engagement Tools|
|Collection Point:||On specific pages of web experience to support the integration of engagement tools.|
|Purpose:||To provide the user with a seamless user experience when engaging with tools like coupon, where to buy and buy online, ratings and reviews, and exit surveys.|
|Cookie:||Bayer Web Experience|
|Collection Point:||The first page of visit and across web experience to collect and manage preferences.|
|Purpose:||To collect and save user preferences to be able to optimize user experience including but not limited to any registration form complete and/or other preference related selections.|
|Collection Point:||The first page that the user visits and any page where content is shared.|
|Classification:||Bayer and 3rd Party|
|Purpose:||When visiting a Bayer website, we provide the capability that allows a visitor to share specific web pages and content via Facebook, Twitter, email and other means. This function uses a cookie to collect anonymous information when you visit and share our content.|
IP Addresses: We may collect your IP address when you visit our website to help us diagnose problems with our main computers, to administer the website and system, to report aggregated information to our partners, to assist in marketing practices and to audit the use of our website. We do not normally link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable. In limited circumstances, we may use IP addresses to help us identify you when we feel it is necessary to enforce compliance with our General Conditions of Use or to protect our Services, website, users or others.
Analytics: Bayer uses third party analytics service providers, such as Google and Adobe and other, to help better understand how visitors use our website. These technologies may record information such as how often you visit our website, which pages and features you frequent, aggregated use and performance data. This data may be aggregated and analyzed to help Bayer provide you with a better online experience.
11. Interest Based Advertising
If you opted-in, we may collect certain information from you, including demographic, profile, region, contact, preference information. This information may be combined with technical data collected via cookies. Together, we may use this data to target advertisements to ranges of groups and demographics, using a third party service provider, such as Google DoubleClick. We do not collect or use health or other sensitive personal information for advertising or marketing purposes.
If you opted-in, we may share aggregated sets of data to a third party to assist in providing ads we feel may be relevant to you on third party sites. We do not share personal information to third parties for advertising, or for their own use. You may control your preferences or revoke consent to future participation in these analytics or marketing programs at any time.
Although it is our hope that you find the display of advertising to you based on your browsing interests valuable, if you no longer wish to participate in the services offered through these solutions, you can opt-out of this activity by visiting the:
i. Google DoubleClick: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
ii. Network Advertising Initiative at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/, and
iii. Digital Advertising Association of Canada at http://youradchoices.ca/choices/.
See Section 15 – Your Options to learn what other choices you have.
Google Analytics. Our website uses third party service providers, including Google Analytics, a web analysis service of Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States (“Google”).
Bayer and our service providers will analyze your use of our Sites on our behalf. To this purpose, we use, among others, the cookies described above. The information collected within the Google Analytics platform in connection with your use of our Sites (e.g., the referring URL, which of our webpages you visit, your browser type, your language settings, your operating system, your screen resolution) will be transmitted to a server of Google in the U.S., where it will be stored and analyzed by Bayer’s service providers; the respective results will then be made available to us. During this process, your usage data may be connected to you if you are logged in to your Site account. If you are not logged in to a Site account, however, your usage data will not be connected to your full IP address – we have activated on our website the IP anonymizing function offered by Google, so that the last 8 digits (type IPv4) or the last 80 bits (type IPv6) of your IP address are deleted.
You may withdraw your consent to the use of web analysis at any time by either downloading and installing a Browser Plugin offered by Google or by configuring your browser to delete and reject cookies. Both options will prevent the use of web analysis only if you use the browser on which you installed the plugin.
12. How is Data kept Secure?
Bayer uses technical and organizational security precautions to protect your data from manipulation, loss, destruction or unauthorized access, use, disclosure or alteration. Third parties that process personal data on our behalf are contractually obligated to safeguard data and only use the data provided to them for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement.
Our security procedures are continuously revised based on new technological developments.
In light of the importance of protecting children's privacy, we do not collect, process or use on our website any information relating to an individual whom we know to be under 13 years old without the prior, verifiable consent of his or her legal representative. Such legal representative has the right, upon request, to view the information provided by the child and/or to require that it be deleted.
Bayer does not intend this website for child audiences, and has no intention of collecting personally-identifiable information (such as name, address, telephone number) from children under 18 years old. If you discover that your child has provided us with personally identifiable information, we ask that a parent or guardian of the child contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have this information deleted from our records.
14. What About Third Party Links?
15. Your Options
Update your information: If you have an account with Bayer, you can update or make changes to your personal data by logging into your profile. If you do not have a profile with Bayer, please see “Access and Update Requests”.
Access and Update Requests: You have the right to review and amend any personal data stored in our system. Just send your request in writing to: email@example.com. Bayer will provide you with access to your personal data that is in our possession, subject to certain exceptions, including data that is referenced to another individual’s personal information that we cannot sever, or information subject to solicitor-client privilege, or other legal restrictions that may prevent us from fulfilling your access request.
Interest based Advertising: If you no longer with to participate in the services offered through these solutions, you can opt-out of this activity by visiting the:
iv. Network Advertising Initiative at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/, and
v. Digital Advertising Association of Canada at http://youradchoices.ca/choices/.
If you opt-out, please note you may still receive ads from Bayer but they are not part of targeted advertising.
Opt-out of promotional communications: In the event you wish to unsubscribe from receiving promotional communications from Bayer, you may opt-out by:
- Removing yourself by clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of an email we send you, or
- Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, such as notifications regarding our business relationship with you, important notices regarding our Services, or as otherwise consistent with applicable law.
Right of Cancellation: You have the right at any time to withdraw your consent to the use of your personal data in the future. Again, just send an e-mail to the address given in the imprint or contact the Privacy Officer or the Data Security Officer at the information below.
16. Contact Us
If you wish to know what information we have in our files about you, ask a question about the information in your file or request a change to the information in your file, please contact:
Jacqueline De Gagné
17. Head of Data Privacy
Phone: +49 (0) 30 468 16924
Bayer may change certain parts to this Privacy Statement from time to time, so be sure to check this Privacy Statement regularly. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be communicated promptly on this page. Please contact the website administrator with any problems, questions or suggestions that you may have. The constant development of the internet requires occasional adjustments to our privacy statement. We retain the right to make changes when necessary.
Last updated: May 05, 2019